Wake up and smell the coffee for International Coffee Day!
International Coffee Day falls on October 1st every year and is a whole day dedicated to celebrating the well loved beverage. In fact, Coffee has become such a popular staple of our day to day lives that there’s whole websites dedicated to the stuff!
Here’s our little homage to the amazing beverage, starting with a few crazy facts about it. Enjoy!
1. Coffee is the world’s second most valuable traded commodity, only behind petroleum.
2. The world consumes close to 2.25 billion cups of coffee every day.
3. Legend has it a 9th-century Ethiopian goat herder discovered coffee by accident when he noticed how crazy the beans were making his goats.
4. In Japan, there is a Cat Cafe where you can go to drink coffee and hang out with cats for hours.
5. Coffee is a psychoactive. At high doses it can make you see things and can actually kill you.
6. The lethal dose of caffeine is roughly 100 cups of coffee.
7. A few hundred years ago a Turkish law made it legal for a woman to divorce her husband if he did not bring home a daily quota of coffee.
8. In Italy the average Barista age is 48, and it is a very respected profession.
9. The first webcam was invented at The University of Cambridge to let people know if their coffee pot was full or not.
10. Espresso is regulated by the Italian government because it is considered an essential part of their daily life.