Today, September 6th, is National Read a Book Day. Here are a few of the reasons you should join in on this holiday and read a book.
Read a book today BECAUSE…
- It’s the best excuse for peace and quiet.
- You love sitting in your favourite chair.
- That stack of borrowed books needs a dent.
- All your friends are busy.
- You need a new favourite quotation.
- Books are on your schedule: you can pick them up and put them down at your own convenience.
- Walking to the library is good exercise.
- You saw the movie, but you heard the book is way better.
- You’ve always wanted to read Anna Karenina.
- You’ve always wanted to reread Anna Karenina.
- There’s a swath of history you’re sick of having to admit you know NOTHING about.
- Some sentences are better than kissing (See Nabokov).
- Your perspective can be changed by a single passage (See Vonnegut).
- Your life can be changed by a book (See The Year of Magical Thinking).
- You’re going through something and you just need to get lost in a beautiful, made-up world.
- You haven’t gotten to use your imagination in a really long time.
- Today’s world is so loud, hyper-connected and busy.
- The world inside your head is yours and yours alone.